The key to 10000 meter races is balancing of
energy. The athlete has to use all his athletic attributes in
harmony to perform well in the event. The 10000 meter sprint for
women digs the attributes like stamina, mental and physical
strength, agility and determination.
The 10000 meter race for women debuted in the Olympics at the 1988
Seoul Olympics. With the entry list of 43 competitors, two
preliminary heats were and thereafter it was final. After Seoul
Olympics, the event has been the part of all summer games.
Rules & Regulations
- Two consecutive false starts get the athlete disqualified.
- Athletes are barred from stepping on the inner line of the
- Athletes are not to step outside the track when the event is
- The track is made of the substance which is capable of
enduring the spiked shoes.
- International Association of Athletics Federations or the
IAAF specifies the length and breadth of the track and lanes in
- Maximum radius of the outside lane of the track has been
determined to 50 meter.
- In case more than twelve people are participating,
preliminary heat events are held. The top twelve of these events
enter the next round.
- A standard automatic timing device recognized by the IAAF is
used for measuring the time.
- Obstruction of the path of any fellow athlete is strictly
prohibited. Such an action attracts instant disqualification.
- Any runner who fails to reach the finishing line is not given
any credit, even if she has run faster than the winner.
Women athletes winning the Gold Medal in the Olympics 10000 meter
sprint are Olga Bondarenko, Deratu Tulu, Fernanda Ribiero, Derutu
Tulu, and Sing Huina who won the medal in 1988 Seoul, 1992
Barcelona, 1996 Atlanta, 2000 Sydney, and 2004 Athens respectively.
Winners of the Silver Medal in the Olympics 10000 meter race are Liz
McCoglan, Elana Meyer, Wang Junxia, Gete Wemi and Ejagayehu Dibaba
who won the medals in 1988 Seoul, 1992 Barcelona, 1996 Atlanta, 2000
Sydney, and 2004 Athens respectively.
Women runners who won the Bronze Medal in the Olympics 10000 meter
race are Yelena Zhupiyeva-Vyazova, Lynn Jennings, Gete Wami,
Fernanda Ribeiro and Derartu Tulu who won the medals in 1988 Seoul,
1992 Barcelona, 1996 Atlanta, 2000 Sydney, and 2004 Athens