Rules and Regulations
As for all athletics events, rules and regulations for marathon too have been set by International Association of Athletics Federations or IAAF. Basic rules set by the IAAF for the marathon are given as under.
- The beginning and finishing points of the marathon race must be visibly marked.
- Even if an athlete is off the course with permission from the judge, he has to be under constant supervision of the judge, so that he might not try any unscrupulous means to win the race.
- All the sections of the race have to be well-marked.
- A sprinter will have to leave the race on the direction of an official medical staff.
- All marathon events in the Olympics have to be organized on roads. Athletes cannot participate in the event on soft land.
- Athlete will not be awarded any point until he reaches the finishing point.
- The runners should be made aware of the distance they are required to run.
- The athletes can have refreshment only at the designated places.
- Any athlete is not permitted to leave the road without permission of a judge.
Super performers in Marathon race in Olympics are Spiridon Louis, Michel Théato, Thomas J. Hicks, Johnny Hayes, Kenneth McArthur, Hannes Kolehmainen, Waldemar Cierpinski, Carlos Lopes, Gelindo Bordin, Hwang Young-Cho, Josia Thugwane, Gezahegne Abera, Albin Stenroos, Boughera El Ouafi, Juan Carlos Zabala, Sohn Kee-chung, Delfo Cabrera, Emil Zátopek, Alain Mimoun, Abebe Bikila, Mamo Wolde, Frank Shorter, and Stefano Baldini.