Rules and Regulations
Rules and regulations specified by the International Association of Athletics Federations or the IAAF are implemented during the 50 kilometer walk in Olympics.
- Any athlete who is served three red cards is disqualified.
- Athletes must not sever contact with the ground during the race.
- An athlete can leave the race course only with the prior permission of the judge. During his off time he is kept under strict observation of a judge.
- An athlete has to leave the race course on the order of an official medical practitioner.
- Advancing leg has to be straight. If the forward leg is bent, the athlete is served a warning.
- During a race walk the number of judges appointed should not be less than six.
- For a major violation of the rules, the athlete is shown a red card. The judge who has noticed the violation informs the chief judge, who shows the red card.
- To warn an athlete, a yellow card is shown by the judge. However, a judge cannot warn the same athlete twice.
- The athletes are allowed to take refreshments at specified places. For violating this rule, they could be instantly disqualified.
Athletes who have performed will in the event are Yucheng Han, Chengliang Zhao, Yu Caohong, Robert Korzeniowski, Abdon Pamich, Don Thompson, Norman Read, Giuseppe Dordoni, John Ljunggren, Harold Whitlock, Thomas Green, Denis Nizhegorodov, Shucai Xing, Andreas Erm, Andrey Perlov, Valeriy Spitsyn, German Skurygin, Vyacheslav Ivanenko, Raul Gonzalez, Hartwig Gauder, Bernd Kannenberg and Christoph Hohne.