Rules and Regulations
Like all athletics events, the specifications for the triple jump event are set by the International Association of Athletics Federations or the IAAF.
- The distance between the take-off line and the end of the landing area is also set by the IAAF. However, it should not be less than 21 meter.
- The triple jump program is comprised of a hop, a step and a jump.
- The design and the material of the take-off board used in the triple jump event is decided by the International Association of Athletics Federations or the IAAF.
- Soft damp sand is filled in the pit for the safety of the athletes.
- An athlete is not allowed to step between the take-off line and the landing area. An athlete violating the rule is disqualified.
The athletes have to perform the triple actions of hop, step and jump. The hop is a jump which is landed with the takeoff foot. The step action is completed with the opposite foot. The third action jump is like a long-jump event. The athletes take a long jump and land in the sand pit.
Joao Carlos de Oliveira, Vladimir Inozemtsev, James Beckford, Yoelbi Quesada, Charles Simpkins, Mike Conley, Hristo Markov, James Connoly, Tim Ahearne, Peter O'Connor,Viktor Saneyev, Józef Szmidt, Adhemar da Silva, Arne Ahman, Naoto Tajima, Chuhei Nambu, Willie Banks, Kenny Harrison, Jonathan Edwards, Christian Olsson, Al Joyner, Jaak Uudmae, Mikio Oda, Nick Winter, Vilho Tuulos and Gustaf Lindblom. No single country has dominated the event and the athletes excelling in the event have been from several countries.